Planning on spending time in the most famous cosmopolitan metropolis in Spain? Deciding where to stay in Barcelona should be first on your agenda. Barcelona is one of the largest cities in Spain. And choosing the perfect area will ensure your trip squeezes in all the city’s highlights.
Staying in one of the best hotels in Barcelona, you’ll discover why Barcelona is a top European travel destination. The Catalonian city has a winning combination of historic architecture & modern experiences. The best areas to stay in Barcelona are home to laid-back locals, endless shopping & dining, and a thriving nightlife. The city even has beachside pleasures to take your relaxation to the next level.
Not sure where to lay your head? Find the perfect Barcelona hotel with this complete Barcelona accommodation guide. In it, we’ve included all the top hotels, areas, neighbourhoods, districts and best places to stay in Barcelona.
Best places to stay in Barcelona
You’ll have no problem filling your trip to Barcelona with fun activities. The challenge is figuring out where to start your journey. Spain’s second-largest city includes a diverse mixture of old and new neighbourhoods. Choosing where to stay in Barcelona depends on how you plan to fill your time.
If you want to check out the most iconic landmarks, you’ll want to stay near La Rambla in the centre of Barcelona. For fine dining and high-end shopping, the Eixample District may better suit your tastes.
No matter where you decide to stay, you’ll find it easy to get around Barcelona. There are several pedestrian thoroughfares to you from one neighbourhood into the next.
The best areas to stay in Barcelona include:
✓ Best area to stay in Barcelona for history buffs and first-time visitors
If you’re visiting Barcelona for the first time, La Rambla is a great starting point. This neighbourhood is in the centre of the city and provides the most convenient access to the top things to do & see in Barcelona.
The location of La Rambla district makes it one of the best areas to stay in Barcelona. It’s also the most famous street in the city. It runs from the Gothic Quarter to the El Raval neighbourhood, and its signature wide boulevard is packed with shops, cafes, and kiosks.
Just keep in mind that La Rambla is also one of the busiest areas. You’ll be shoulder-to-shoulder with other tourists as you walk up and down the boulevard.
Luckily, there are plenty of attractions that make it worth braving the crowds. As you explore the area, you’ll see human statues, historic buildings, and the largest food market in the region. You can even take a ride to the top of the Christopher Columbus monument to get a view of Barcelona.
Recommended hotels in La Rambla
The southern end of La Rambla places you closer to the river, whereas the northern end puts you closer to the centre of Barcelona. If you want to explore the most famous landmarks in Barcelona, you may want to stay at the north end.
- Arc La Rambla: La Rambla is just outside your hotel and you’re only ten minutes from the Gothic Quarter. One of the best features is the soundproof walls. It’ll ensure you get some peace and quiet at any time of the day or night.
- Oriente Atiram: Staying at this hotel makes you feel like you’re visiting the Barcelona of over a hundred years ago. The hotel is in a 19th-century building. It’s just a few minutes walk from the La Boqueria Market.
- Royal Ramblas: Barcelona Cathedral and the Tivoli Theatre are footsteps away from this hotel. It also offers all the amenities you need to feel right at home. While the rooms are not quite as luxurious compared to other hotels in the area, the prices are a little more reasonable.
- Catalonia Avinyo: This modern hotel features minimalist décor and close access to all the top Barcelona attractions. If you stay here, make sure that you check out the rooftop pool with a panoramic view of Barcelona.
- Chic & Basic Ramblas: You’ll notice the unique vibe when you walk into this hotel. It’s outfitted with 1960’s décor. Luckily, it’s got modern amenities, including WiFi. It’s also one of the closest hotels to the La Boqueria Food Market.
✓ Best neighbourhood to stay in Barcelona for families and beach-goers
Staying in the Barceloneta neighbourhood places you right next to the beach and within walking distance to the city centre. You can spend some time near the beach and then explore the rest of Barcelona. You’re also far enough away from the centre to enjoy a slightly more laid back atmosphere.
If you’re a seafood lover, you’ll also want to check out the restaurants in this district. Any local will tell you the best seafood in town is found in Barceloneta. You’ll also have access to plenty of other cuisine choices. The marina and adjacent main street are lined with restaurants, cafes, and ice cream shops.
You can spend the day on the Barceloneta Beach, purchase original artwork on the boardwalk, or take a trip to an aquarium. When you get tired of these activities, you can take the main streets toward other districts, such as the nearby Gothic Quarter.
Recommended hotels in the Barceloneta Barrio
Some of the best hotels in Barcelona are in the Barceloneta Barrio. There are a couple of five-star luxury hotels on the marina, along with some more affordable options further away from the beach.
- Hotel Arts Barcelona: The top luxury hotel in Barceloneta offers panoramic views of the city and the Mediterranean Sea. You can relax in the two outdoor pools or spas and then grab a bite at the hotel’s two-star Michelin-rated restaurant.
- W Barcelona: When you stay here, you get the luxury of direct beach access. It’s also a great spot for families or couples, as the hotel includes pools, spas, and its own bar and restaurant. With the services available at this hotel, you may never leave to explore the rest of Barcelona.
- Hotel 54 Barcelona: Seaside views, restaurants, and shops are just a few of the reasons to stay at this hotel. It’s just a short walk to the beach and offers a great value. It also features a stylish rooftop terrace overlooking the port.
- Pullman Barcelona Skipper: Being 350 feet from the beach should make it convenient enough to go swimming whenever you want. This hotel is also a short walk from some of the most iconic sites in Barcelona. Like many of the hotels in Barceloneta, it has spas, saunas, and a rooftop pool with views of Barcelona.
- CoolRooms Malda: This hotel is a little further from the beach, but still within walking distance. You’re also a little closer to the Gothic Quarter, providing quick access to more cafes, shops, and restaurants.
Gothic Quarter (Barri Gòtic)
✓ Best place to stay in Barcelona for architecture lovers and nightlife
The Gothic Quarter (Barri Gòtic) is the heart of Barcelona and the city’s oldest neighbourhood. It’s a must-see destination for fans of historic architecture. The Gothic Quarter is also a great spot for eating, shopping, and partying.
This district is comprised of a maze of cobblestone streets and old buildings. It’s preserved surroundings also showcase the history of Barcelona. Just by walking around, you can imagine what it was like in Barcelona several hundred years ago.
It’s also got plenty of modern features. The cramped streets include many small plazas with cafes, musicians, and artisanal shops. In the evening, the Barri Gòtic continues to be vibrant and full of life, thanks to the numerous bars.
The Gothic Quarter includes enough variety to keep you busy. It’s a particularly great place to stay if you’ve only got 24 hours in Barcelona. If you want, you can still check out the rest of Barcelona while staying in the Barri Gòtic. You can easily walk to La Rambla. This central pedestrian thoroughfare conveniently takes you through most of Barcelona.
Recommended hotels in the Gothic Quarter (Barri Gòtic)
While the Barri Gòtic is full of old buildings, it also includes a few modern hotels. You can also even find accommodations that offer rooftop views of the city.
- Musik Boutique Hotel: This modern hotel is located on the outskirts of the Gothic Quarter, making it easier to travel to La Rambla and other parts of the city. It’s a luxurious hotel and is another spot that offers rooftop views of Barcelona.
- Hotel Rec Barcelona: If you enjoy culture, consider staying at this hotel. You’re within a few minutes of the Picasso Museum, the Modern Art Museum Barcelona, and the Chocolate Museum. The only drawback (for families at least) is that it’s an adults-only hotel.
- Ohla Barcelona: The rooftop swimming pool offers one of the best views. You can see the detailed rooftops of the neighbouring historic buildings while going for a swim. It’s also situated just a short walk from La Rambla.
- Duquesa de Cardona: You can literally walk out the doors of this hotel and start exploring the Barri Gòtic. It’s another convenient location for those that want to visit the most important landmarks in Barcelona. The rooms are a little small, but they offer all the standard amenities.
- H10 Madison: Enjoy air-conditioned rooms, rooftop views of Barcelona, and close access to both the beach and the Barri Gòtic. It’s also one of the closest hotels to Barcelona Cathedral and Santa Caterina Market.
✓ Recommended area to stay in Barcelona for shopaholics and foodies
The Eixample District contains less of the historic architecture found in other parts of Barcelona. The area is known, however, for offering up the best shopping, tapas bars, and restaurants in the city. It’s a high-class district with lofty residential areas and designer shops. It also touts a couple of buildings designed by famed Spanish architect Gaudi.
If you enjoy fine cuisine, you’ll love this district. The higher-priced area has internationally renowned bars and restaurants. You can also shop at supermarkets, large department stores, and open markets. Keep in mind that these are also some of the most expensive establishments in Barcelona.
This neighbourhood was added to the city in the 1800s, making it one of the newest districts. The grid-like layout that makes it easy to find your way to the next café or bar in comparison to the winding streets of the Gothic Quarter.
You’ll also have the chance to travel through the rest of Barcelona. Eixample is just southwest of La Rambla and the Gothic Quarter and is close to the hip Sant Antoni & El Poble-sec areas. Just walk to Passeig de Sant Joan and you can find your way to any part of Barcelona.
Recomnmended hotels in Eixample
Besides offering high-end shopping and dining, Eixample offers some of the best places to stay in Barcelona. You’ll discover a wide selection of luxury hotels and accommodations for the discerning traveller.
- El Palace Barcelona: Opened in 1919, the hotel is in a historic building and provides convenient access to all the top destinations. You can walk out of the hotel and to Passeig de Gracia, which can take you through the centre of Barcelona. The hotel itself is also luxurious and includes an outdoor pool.
- H10 Casa Mimosa: This hotel is also housed in an older building and has a beautiful courtyard. The courtyard has a pool and provides a view of Gaudi chimneys in the background. The hotel also includes its own restaurant, bar, and terrace with a view.
- Almanac Barcelona: This is the perfect destination for those seeking classy accommodations. This hotel features a Mediterranean brasserie with a wide selection of regional wines. Each room also includes its own mini-bar with free drinks. When you’re ready to relax, the hotel offers pools, a sauna, and a relaxation lounge.
- Hotel Europark: This modern hotel is located about 15 minutes from Plaça Catalunya and La Rambla. It’s also got an art-deco vibe that fits the Eixample district. You can enjoy a stay in a luxury hotel with easy access to nearby landmarks.
- Room Mate Carla: This hotel is a little less extravagant compared to other options. It’s a quaint hotel with modern décor and bright art prints hanging in the hallways and rooms. You’re also just 650 feet from Passeig de Gracia.
Best hotels in Barcelona
Not picky on where to stay? Here’s a quick summary of some of the top-rated hotels in Barcelona for travellers…
- Hotel Cantón is a budget-friendly hotel in Ciutat Vella, featuring simple clean rooms. Located not far from Las Ramblas and the Old Port.
- Room Mate Anna is a super unique boutique hotel featuring a colourful design. The balconies of the deluxe rooms overlook Gaudí’s oddity masterpiece, Casa Batlló.
- H10 Madison is a lovely mid-range hotel with modern rooms located close to the beach and the Gothic Quarter. If visiting in the summer, you’ll love the opportunity to take a dip in the rooftop pool with spectacular views over Barcelona.
- El Palace Barcelona is a historic 5-star luxury hotel located close to Barcelona’s top tourist attractions. For the ultimate in relaxation, be sure to experience a treatment at the on-site Mayan-style spa or float away in the seasonal rooftop pool.