As it is home to one of the most popular tourist attractions in Canada, trying to decide where to stay in Niagara Falls isn’t easy. The promenade near the river is a crowded spot with lots of fun attractions and some of the best hotels in Niagara Falls.
While you could stay within walking distance of the falls, some travellers prefer a more peaceful setting. There’s plenty of options in the surrounding area, catering to all types of interests from nightlife to shopping.
Not sure where to begin? Start your Niagara Falls accommodations search with this complete guide to the best places to stay in Niagara Falls, including the top hotels, areas, and neighbourhoods…
Best places to stay in Niagara Falls: Top neighbourhoods & areas
Located on the western bank of the Niagara River, the city of Niagara Falls attracts millions of visitors each year. Most first-time visitors choose to stay close to the river, making it a crowded spot. To get away from the hustle and bustle, you could look for lodgings in the downtown area. Of course, there’s a lot more to explore.
Outside of the downtown area is a mixture of neighbourhoods. You’ll find popular tourist strips with views of the river, quiet neighbourhoods with family restaurants, and trendy areas with bars and cafes.
Niagara Falls has a diverse landscape with something for everyone. While most people come to see the waterfalls, you can also enjoy upscale shopping, gambling at casinos, and fun trips to the various museums and theatres.
The best areas to stay in Niagara Falls include:
- Clifton Hill
- Fallsview Boulevard
- Lundy’s Lane
✔ Best area to stay in Niagara Falls for first-time visitors & sightseeing
Some of the best places to stay in Niagara Falls are found in the Clifton Hill neighbourhood as the area provides the closest access to Niagara Gorge and other popular attractions. It’s the main tourist hub and a short walk from the waterfalls.
Locals call this area “Street of Fun by the Falls” as it’s near the falls and full of fun attractions. After a trip to the waterfalls, visit the Movieland Wax Museum or take a boat tour around the river. You’ll also find a massive Ferris wheel with panoramic views of the falls and the surrounding landscape.
The neighbourhood is named after the busy tourist promenade near Niagara Falls and the Niagara River. Along with the wax museum and Ferris wheel, you’ll find a packed commercial zone with an endless array of themed attractions, restaurants, and gift shops.
Clifton Hill is also home to the largest miniature golf course in Canada. Located next to the SkyWheel, Dinosaur Adventure Golf has a 50-foot active waterfall. The variety of attractions makes it a fun spot for the whole family, couples, or solo travellers.
Recommended hotels in Clifton Hill
Clifton Hill offers a mixture of accommodations, including a few of the best Niagara Falls hotels and several budget options. As it’s the closest neighbourhood to the waterfalls, these options also tend to fill up the fastest during the summer travel season.
- Howard Johnson by Wyndham by the Falls Niagara Falls: This three-star hotel is part of a major chain that mostly caters to business travellers. It’s a mid-range option with all the standard amenities, including indoor and outdoor pools and a 24-hour family restaurant. While it’s not the most luxurious hotel, it’s within walking distance of the most popular attractions.
- Sheraton on the Falls: Connected to Fallsview Indoor Waterpark and Casino Niagara, this four-star hotel borders Clifton Hill and Fallsview, providing one of the best spots for exploring Niagara Falls. It’s also a luxurious place to stay with on-site shopping, dining, and spa services.
- Vittoria Hotel & Suites: As one of the highest-rated hotels in Clifton Hill, this four-star hotel has a luxurious lobby and equally impressive rooms. The spacious, modern accommodations place you a few steps from Casino Niagara and a short walk from the Skylon Tower and its panoramic views of the waterfalls.
✔ Top place to stay in Niagara Falls for luxury travellers and nightlife
Fallsview Boulevard is close to the falls but it’s more upscale compared to Clifton Hill. You can still easily reach the top things to do in Niagara Falls while finding lodgings in one of the more affluent neighbourhoods. It’s the main entertainment district with a large selection of theatres, arcades, and restaurants.
The variety of attractions attracts visitors of all ages. Adventurous travellers may enjoy a game of laser tag at the Niagara Falls Fun Zone or indoor skydiving at Niagara Freefall.
If you’re looking to gamble some of your vacation money, visit Fallsview Casino Resort. As the largest gaming resort in Canada, it offers a complete range of casino games along with fine dining and live entertainment.
Fallsview is also the best place to stay for the city’s nightlife. Several of the main streets are hubs for nighttime activity. You can hop from bar to bar while enjoying live music. For those who prefer something classier, the area also offers several upscale cocktail bars and lounges.
Fallsview has plenty of fun things to keep you busy but it’s also within walking distance of Clifton Hill and the Niagara River, allowing you to enjoy the best of both neighbourhoods.
Recommended hotels in Fallsview Boulevard
If you want a view of the waterfalls from your hotel, search Fallsview Boulevard. The neighbourhood has some of the best hotels in Niagara Falls, including many suites with floor-to-ceiling windows that look out over the river.
- Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa: Fall asleep while watching the mighty waterfalls from the window of your room at this four-star resort. It’s a short distance from the main promenade near the river and comes equipped with everything that you need to feel at home. Relax in a hot tub or try some of the on-site spa services.
- Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls: With terraces and an observation deck overlooking the falls, this four-star hotel stands out compared to other lodgings. It’s a classy hotel with spacious modern rooms that resemble small apartments, including several options with lofts and floor-to-ceiling windows.
- Four Points by Sheraton Niagara Falls Fallsview: Depending on which side of this four-star hotel you stay, you can enjoy views of the city or the falls. It’s also connected to Fallsview Casino via a glass walkway, allowing you to reach one of the largest casinos in Canada without stepping outdoors and offering access to a variety of great restaurants and shops.
✔ Top-rated neighbourhood to stay in Niagara Falls for foodies and shopping
If you’re trying to decide where to stay in Niagara Falls for a little bit of everything, try Lundy’s Lane. It’s a historic neighbourhood with large parks found further from the falls, making it one of the top spots for families.
Located west of the city centre, Lundy’s Lane is a quiet neighbourhood with a calm atmosphere. It’s also known for its food culture and shopping options. It has the widest selection of restaurants, cafes, and retail establishments in the city. Choose from over 40 restaurants and dozens of cafes and bars.
As the top shopping destination in Niagara Falls, Lundy’s Lane boasts a large assortment of retail shops. You can browse over 30 boutiques. No matter if you want to buy shoes, garden supplies, sweets, stereo equipment, designer eyewear, or souvenirs, you can find it in Lundy’s Lane.
While it’s not within convenient walking distance of the main attractions on your Niagara Falls itinerary, you can hop on a public bus and quickly reach any spot in the city. The WEGO Red Line bus can take you to the waterfalls in just minutes.
Recommended hotels in Lundy’s Lane
Lundy’s Lane has a selection of mid-range hotels with many suitable options for families. You’ll find large hotels with a full range of amenities and reasonable prices. If you want a hotel with courtyards, fitness centres, parks, and pools, Lundy’s Lane has you covered.
- Best Western Plus Cairn Croft Hotel: This three-star hotel is near Fallsview Casino on Victoria Avenue, which takes you straight to the heart of Niagara Falls. After a long day of sightseeing, relax in the enclosed courtyard with flowering gardens or grab a meal at the on-site restaurant and Irish pub.
- Falls Manor Resort: Located about a 10-minute drive from Horseshoe Falls, this family-owned resort treats you as if you are part of the family. It’s also a convenient place to stay, thanks to the outdoor pool, picnic area, and on-site restaurant.
- Fullerton Manor Inn: Found on the west side of the neighbourhood, this three-star inn is a little further from the main sights and the waterfalls. The secluded location offers a quiet atmosphere while the inn has large rooms with comfortable furnishings and standard amenities.
- The Highlander Inn: This cosy inn is a short distance from Skylon Tower and just steps from the top shopping destinations in Lundy’s Lane. The rooms are relatively small and homey but they come with balconies offering views of the garden area.
✔ Recommended place to stay in Niagara Falls for families and relaxation
Chippawa is another of the best areas to stay in Niagara Falls for families. It’s further from the falls, allowing you to escape the crowds near the centre of the city. The quiet atmosphere makes it a top recommendation for anyone wanting more relaxation. It’s also one of the coolest neighbourhoods in the city with a wide range of things to keep you busy.
You can start the day with a trip to the historic site of the Chippawa battlefield from the War of 1812. After visiting the historic part of the neighbourhood, take the family to Marineland. The large aquarium and zoo house hundreds of marine mammals, including Beluga whales. It’s also home to a variety of land mammals found natively throughout Canada, such as deer, elk, bison, and black bears.
When you reach the centre of the neighbourhood, you’ll find a canal surrounded by sprawling parks and places to eat. Enjoy cocktails, beer, or ice cream at an outside patio overlooking the canal.
If you’re looking for shopping, walk to Front Street for a large selection of independent boutiques. As you browse the aisles, you’ll come across everything from clothing to souvenirs at affordable prices.
Recommended hotels in Chippawa
The quiet Chippawa neighbourhood only has a few options for lodgings. You’ll find a couple of motels and a bed & breakfast. While the options are limited, these accommodations offer a more peaceful setting compared to the crowded hotels in other parts of the city.
- Niagara Parkway Court Motel: The affordable little motel is near the river and a little over two kilometres from the downtown area. It’s a small motel with spacious rooms and views of Chippawa Village Square, just a short walk from the main shopping and dining establishments.
- Niagara Falls Motor Lodge: The other motel in the village offers a heated pool and BBQ facilities along with standard amenities. It’s not the fanciest place to stay but it’s clean and peaceful. If you need food or drinks, a Tim Hortons and a small pub are just across the street.
- Two Rivers Bed and Breakfast: If you don’t want to stay in a motel, this quaint bed & breakfast is a classy choice. This location offers a variety of room types including one-bedroom suites, deluxe queen rooms, and a three-bedroom apartment, each with unique décor and luxurious furnishings.