If you’ve got a growing obsession with yummy Singaporean food, be sure to toss in a visit to the legendary Old Airport Road Food Centre.
Opened in 1973, Old Airport Road Food Centre offers one of the most classic hawker centre experiences in Singapore. With over 150 hawker stalls, it’s this bustling food court one of the largest in the city.
No foodie should skip out on Old Airport Road Food Centre. It’s insanely popular among locals, and often touted, from my own conversations, as a favourite for Singaporeans living all throughout the city.
Although a little further afield than many of the other top Singapore hawker centres, the Old Airport Road Food Centre is a must for rounding out your appreciation of the varied food scene in Singapore.
Not sure where to start exploring Old Airport Road Food Centre? Familiarize yourself with the centre’s best foods and hawker stalls with this quick & easy guide…
What to expect at Old Airport Road Food Centre
If you’ve already been acquainted with other food courts in Singapore, you likely won’t be surprised by the wide variety of dishes available at the Old Airport Road Food Centre.
Truthfully, there aren’t many dishes in the typical Singapore food repertoire you won’t find here!
Compared to hawker centres in and around the Singapore CBD, there’s a more local feel here.
Many of the stalls at Old Airport Road Food Centre are family-run—in some cases for generations.
As you wander through the maze of stalls, you’ll watch local residents filter to their favourites to grab a hearty plate of rojak, satay, bee hoon, or char kway teow.
All for around the price of a cup of Starbucks coffee.
(And which do you think is more fulfilling? Easy answer.)
Where & what to eat at Old Airport Road Food Centre
Like most hawker centres in Singapore, my advice for finding the best food at the Old Airport Road Food Centre is to follow your nose and the queues to the most popular stalls. That being said, keep on the lookout for these top hawker stalls on your visit…
- Xin Mei Xiang Zheng Zong Lor Mee (#01-116): Awarded a Michelin Plate and a local People’s Choice food award in 2018, this popular Old Airport Road Food Centre stall serves up a mean lor mee, a dish of thick yellow noodles served in a thick egg & starch gravy with a dash of savoury flavours and spice.
- Whitley Road Big Prawn Noodles (#01-98): Whether you choose the dry or soup versions, the prawn noodle dishes at this famous Old Airport Road Food Centre hawker stall might become one of your new Singaporean food favourites. The classic pork rib version is the most palatable for the average Westerner. (Unless you love the thought of pork liver or eat on the more adventurous side.)
- Hua Kee Hougang Famous Wanton Mee (#01-02): To attack your noodle cravings with a vengeance, grab a bowl of the signature wanton noodles at this famed hawker stall. They’re the perfect texture and packed with umami.
- Nam Sing Hokkien Fried Mee (#01-32): Easily one of the most famous stalls at Old Airport Road Food Centre, the signature hokkien mee here—bursting with prawn, squid, eggs, bee hoon, and egg noodles—is a game-changer. Expect a long wait in the queue.
- Toa Payoh Rojak (#01-108): One of the most popular specialties at Old Airport Road Food Centre is undoubtedly rojak. And this is the stall to try it. The rojak here is as fresh as it gets, featuring a mix of bean sprouts, spinach, and tofu topped with a sweet & savoury shrimp sauce and crushed peanuts.
- Freshly Made Chee Cheong Fun (#01-155): For its silky texture, chee cheong fun quickly became one of my go-to delights on my trips to Singapore. This food stall is the best place to get it at the Old Airport Road Food Centre. Try the char siew (BBQ pork) version for a dash of flavour that’ll change your appreciation of chee cheong fun forever.
- Lao Ban Soya Beancurd (#01-127/#01-107): Got a sweet tooth? Take this Singapore dessert on for size! This popular stall serves up some of the silkiest soya beancurd in Singapore, a perfect cap for your Old Airport Road hawker experience.
By MRT: The easiest way to get to Old Airport Road Food Centre via Singapore’s public transportation is by MRT. The closest MRT Station to the hawker centre is Dakota MRT (CC8) on the Circle Line.
From Exit A, it’s a quick 5-minute walk.