Keen to travel abroad but short on time? Buckle up, and saddle in: These trip itineraries and travel plans are just what you need…
I get it. You’re probably sick of getting bombarded with the idea that you need to quit your job to travel the world or live out of a backpack if you want to be a “real” traveller.
Fortunately, we both know it’s a load of *expletive deleted*.
Truth is: Travel is not all-in or nothing—despite what the broke-but-Instagram-happy blogger crowd will peddle. You can see the world without giving up your life or your career or leaving your loved ones and friends behind.
Below, you’ll sift through a wide assortment of itineraries & travel plans designed with the time-crunched mid-range luxury traveller in mind.
In the end, though, these itineraries are not about me; they’re about you.
The itineraries below are based on my travels to over 50 countries in the past decade and a half. These are not personal travelogues or detailed play-by-plays.
Instead, I’ve flipped the usual travel blogging paradigm on its head, replacing selfies and self-aggrandizing details with practical information that’ll help you plan your dream trip better.
Let’s start with the most time-crunched of all travel plans: city itineraries.
Perhaps it’s because I grew up in Northern Ontario, but I absolutely love visiting cities. (The more urban, the better.) You’ll notice that many of the city itineraries I’ve laid out here focus on an extremely short timeframe: one day.
Now, don’t get me wrong: It’s hard to see a city in a day. I mean, it’s next to impossible. And I don’t necessarily recommend it unless it’s your only choice.
But with travel being a dynamic crapshoot of layovers and bad transportation connections, spending just 24 hours in a city is a real possibility. (And it probably happens more often than we might want.)
Think of these city itineraries less as a be-all-end-all travel plan and more as a starting point. Even when you only manage to get in a quick run through a city, it’s usually enough to inspire a return visit with a little more substance. (Or otherwise, scare you off for good.)
- One Day in Beijing, China
- One Day in Chengdu, China
- One Day in Guangzhou, China
- One Day in Hangzhou, China
- One Day in Shanghai, China
- One Day in Suzhou, China
- One Day in Xian, China
- One Day in Fukuoka, Japan
- One Day in Hiroshima, Japan
- One Day in Kanazawa, Japan
- One Day in Kyoto, Japan
- One Day in Nagoya, Japan
- One Day in Nara, Japan
- One Day in Osaka, Japan
- One Day in Takayama, Japan
- One Day in Tokyo, Japan
- One Day in Yokohama, Japan
- One Day in Dubrovnik, Croatia
- One Day in Hvar, Croatia
- One Day in Split, Croatia
- One Day in Zagreb, Croatia
- One Day in Berlin, Germany
- One Day in Cologne, Germany
- One Day in Dresden, Germany
- One Day in Frankfurt, Germany
- One Day in Hamburg, Germany
- One Day in Munich, Germany
- One Day in Bologna, Italy
- One Day in Cinque Terre, Italy
- One Day in Milan, Italy
- One Day in Naples, Italy
- One Day in Positano, Italy
- One Day in Sorrento, Italy
- One Day in Barcelona, Spain
- One Day in Bilbao, Spain
- One Day in Granada, Spain
- One Day in Madrid, Spain
- One Day in San Sebastian, Spain
- One Day in Seville, Spain
- One Day in Valencia, Spain
- One Day in Montreal, Canada
- One Day in Ottawa, Canada
- One Day in Quebec City, Canada
- One Day in Toronto, Canada
- One Day in Vancouver, Canada
District of Columbia
Country & region travel plans
Unless your travels consist only of direct flights and layovers, you’ll probably want to visit more than one city at a time. These country and region itineraries reflect the whole purpose of Treksplorer as a guide to helping you travel better in less time.
Most of the country itineraries below cover 10-day trips. The number isn’t just arbitrary but based upon the standard two-week North American vacation. (Europeans: Please save bragging about your long vacations for another day! ;) )
Once you take into account return long-haul flights, time zone changes, a healthy dose of jet lag, and a little rest upon return, most itineraries in that two-week vacation involve just ten nights in your destination.
(But, of course, the more days you can squeeze in, the better!)
- 10 Days in Bali
- 10 Days in China
- One Week in Hokkaido
- 10 Days in Japan
- 10 Days in Korea
- 10 Days in Malaysia
- 10 Days in Taiwan
- 10 Days in Thailand
- 10 Days in Croatia
- 10 Days in Czech Republic
- 10 Days in Germany
- 10 Days in Poland
- 10 Days in Slovenia
- 10 Days in Spain
- 7 Days in Pacific Northwest USA Road Trip Itinerary
- 10 Days in California Road Trip Itinerary
- One Week in Florida Road Trip Itinerary
- One Week in Maui Road Trip Itinerary
- One Week in Oahu Road Trip Itinerary
- Two Weeks in Northeast USA Road Trip Itinerary
- Two Weeks in Southeast USA Road Trip Itinerary